Tuesday 21 February 2012

Chance


Chance is such a flighty and whimsical thing - or is it? Chance doesn't exist at all except that our imagination furnishes it with laws and opportunities - or does it? Chance is a curse to the cursed and a boon to the blessed - or are curses and blessings merely fictions of the human soul?

As an unashamed romantic I see Chance as a second world within the first. It moves or slides seamlessly under the surface of the world we think we live on. This first world is a fiction: a strange, glittering, gleaming fantasy we think is fixed in place by our deeds and decisions. In reality the mutable world of Chance slides unseen beneath our feet.

With regard to this world of chance we are static. It rotates and then stops, delivering its exotic locations to our side. It is like water - a moving, watery pathway. But is it arbitrary in its movements? Does it by any chance bring us what we need? Or - more ominously - what we deserve? Can we influence it by our own actions?

I won't even attempt to be scientific here. I won't talk about cause and effect, or the laws of karma. I know the hard blows of life as much as anyone. But I will talk about goodness and mercy - and love. I do believe that goodness and mercy follow me all the days of my life. I believe this despite the blows. And goodness and mercy also belong to that second world - the world of Chance. In believing in them I step out of the glittering fantasy world of 'reality' and into a moving, watery continuum. I also believe that this second world, in its rotating, stops for me exactly beside love, as often as it can - like a globe bringing a new country to my side.

So can we influence it by our actions? Not exactly. But prayers are as sacred as roses on thorn. Their urgency and repetition grow upwards to the very hand that turns the globe. That hand, the hand of 'Chance', knows exactly where to stop the spinning.

Jay

© Landar 2012. All rights reserved


You are welcome to quote from PageLight on the condition that you cite the author and the source:
Author: Jay Landar
Source: www.pagelight.blogspot.com
For other permissions please contact the author.


Picture: The Dreamer by Caspar David Friedrich

No comments:

Post a Comment