Tuesday 20 December 2011

The Holy Family


The uncompromising need for humanity - that is the theme that the final week before Christmas sets before us. We want to be loved and understood; we want someone to take our hand and lead us through the dark, unpredictable world history has bequeathed us. Why me? Why now? Why should I go through this? I'm just a traveller in time who has landed here - I have no special gift to bring; I can't heal the world.

What a strange thing to be a time traveller. That's what we are. We set the dial, spun the wheels and arrived here. In the whole history of time we are just people who chanced - or chose - to be here. And the world is cruel, untidy, pitiless. Alas! Who is going to sort it out for us? Jesus Christ?

I'm parodying the mindset of the world today. Yes, truly people are suffering and caught in the cogs of time. But the cogs are human created and can be human solved. Why should we call out for a supernatural being to come to our aid and take all our sufferings on his shoulders? Be careful what you wish for - the supernatural being may not be the one you think he is.

Whose humanity is called for? Someone else's? A divine being's? Every tear that falls becomes a torrent in front of you; every unkindness a cutting forest; cold thoughts are a moonless night; a lack of charity is a winter without cheer. Not one more step can I take on my own path unless I dry the tear, awaken kindness, warm the thoughts. The torrent will turn back in itself, the forest open, the bright moon shine its light ahead. What chance do I have then of continuing? The chance that saves the world, that lets me out here at this point in history. The path is not for me alone -it is for any holy family which chances to be coming this way.


Jay


© landar 2011. All rights reserved

You are welcome to quote from PageLight on the condition that you cite the author and the source:
Author: Jay Landar
Source: www.pagelight.blogspot.com
For other permissions please contact the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment